LinkedIn is sort of the forgotten sibling in the social media family. It’s not as beautiful as Instagram or as popular as Facebook, but it’s a powerful tool you should include in your social media arsenal.
- LinkedIn has credibility with Google and comes up high in most searches. If you do a Google search of a person, their LinkedIn profile will likely come up in the top 3 results.
- LinkedIn has millions of people who use the site, but most don’t create content. This means less competition for people to see your videos, articles, etc.
- Your profile page can act as a landing page for your business because it allows you to showcase your work, share your contact information, promote your website, and link to your lead magnet. This can be used to generate leads.
How Should You Get Started?
1. Have a Professional Photo
Make sure you have a photo that’s up-to-date and professional. (No beach photos!!)
2. Update Your Contact Information
A lot of people are using LinkedIn to connect with people so be sure your contact information is accurate.
3. Create a Showcase of Work
LinkedIn has a new “features” section that allows you to create links to articles you’ve published both on and off the site, links to your lead magnet, website, free training, work samples, etc. If you haven’t yet taken advantage of this be sure to check it out! This is a game changer!!
Over the last year, I’ve had several potential clients reach out via LinkedIn. It’s truly a viable source of leads.
Yes, you will get people who want to try to sell you something, but you will also have people reach out because they want to work with you and in this business climate, every lead is important.
About the author: Meg Huwar is a small business marketing expert and Principal of Brand Accelerator. She and her team, work with companies who want to market their business but don’t have the time, experience or staff to do it themselves. Meg can be reached at email@example.com or 412-848-8822.